Steffel & Steffel is a full-service law firm providing legal counsel, contract and transactional services, collections assistance, and courtroom and arbitration representation to resolve business disputes. Our Battle Creek business lawyers represent clients with a few to a few hundred employees in a variety of industries, including:
- Construction companies, construction contractors, suppliers and surveyors
- Gas and oil companies and oil jobbers
- Doctors and medical practices
- Restaurants, bars, party stores, and entertainment venues
- Banks, financing and holding companies
- Security system companies
- Consultants and consulting firms
- Service companies
Business and Commercial Law
Our business lawyers help small businesses start off right by helping you select the right business structure for your business goals and risk profile. From sole proprietorship restaurants, to limited liability partnership medical practices, to incorporation of a construction company, we can explain the advantages and disadvantages of each type of business entity and then prepare the paperwork to get your business off the ground.
We provide contract drafting and review services essential to protect your business interests in leasing, purchase of equipment, sale of products and services, and employment-related contracts, including covenants not to compete and confidentiality agreements.
We advise clients regarding directors’ and officers’ liability, shareholders’ rights, franchise agreements, joint ventures, mergers, purchases and sales, dissolution or reorganization of a business, and business successions. Our attorneys have many years of experience in these matters.
Some of our clients have specialized legal needs:
- Banking and Finance Law:For commercial banking and holding company clients, our lawyers have experience in lending and secured transactions, loan workouts, mortgages and foreclosures.
- Construction Law:Our firm represents owners, contractors, construction managers, developers, design professionals, and suppliers in document preparation; contract negotiations and drafting of contracts; contract performance, litigation and other dispute resolution.
- Commercial Collections, Judgment Enforcement, and Enforcement of Liens: We are experienced in construction liens, levy and seizure of property, payment bonds, Builders Trust Fund claims, successor liability actions, and creditor’s rights in bankruptcy.
- Restaurants, Bars, and Party Stores: We assist clients in acquiring and selling liquor licenses, handle liquor control issues, and defend clients accused of violations of the liquor control code.
Commercial Real Estate: Our firm represents commercial clients in transactions involving real property, including purchase and sale, construction, mortgages and foreclosures, leases, boundary disputes, quiet title actions, closings, and landlord-tenant matters.
Taxation: Our firm represents commercial clients in all matters with tax implications, identifying and addressing state and federal tax issues, structuring transactions to minimize taxes and dealing with local, state and federal tax authorities. We represent clients in litigation and appeals before the Michigan Tax Tribunal and in IRS administrative hearings and appeals.
Civil Litigation and Appeals: We represent clients who are or might become involved in a lawsuit, arbitration, or appeal resulting from a business dispute, breach of contract, collection matter, negligence, or landlord-tenant concerns.
Contact our Battle Creek law office to speak directly to an attorney with business law and commercial litigation experience in Michigan courts.